Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Escalonia Nursery & Café - plant paradise

13 March, 2019

I started my meandering today with Vivero y Café La Escalonia, a combination plant nursery, garden, and restaurant. What a great concept!

Even the street it is on looks tranquil and shady.

After turning in to the main gate, on the right is the garden and cafe. The garden is small but very lush, my pictures don't show the whole garden, but you can see there is lots of variety.
I had just learned the name of this flower below and forgot it again... it comes in white also.

The fountain that looks like a bubble is fascinating.

A familiar periwinkle, backed by some lovely white leaves.

Liquid sunshine, there is nothing like listening to the sound of a splashing fountain on a hot day.

Sitting at a table in the shade of the garden, a quiet afternoon so I have the place all to myself.
Right next to me was the herb garden, I have never seen so much basil in one place. The aroma was heavenly.
My sage at home never seems to get this happy, look how huge it is.
This seems to be some kind of pepper plant, the fruit is hanging at lower left but I don't recognize it.

Tea and cake. Feeling luxurious here in the shade and the peaceful atmosphere.

This tiny visitor was wandering around the table. And I mean really tiny, maybe 1/8 the size of my pinky nail. It was all white and rather pretty.

Looking up from my seat. Each table has a bell if you need to call your server, which I find whimsical and practical at the same time.

"A child who reads, will become an adult who thinks." YES!

Repurposing plastic drink bottles into planters. It's practicul, but I can't say I find it aesthetically pleasing.

Behind the cafe and garden is the nursery area of the property. Even this area has an exotic, shady feeling.

Mystery fruit hanging from a vine. Is it a guava? The size of it would fit in the palm of my hand.

Look, baby bananas! Last time I saw them was in Brazil.

The shade in these photos obscures the color some - this unusual looking flower was a stunning shade of blue-green. I haven't been able to identify it.

UPDATE: Identified! It is Jade Vine (Strongylodon macrobotrys).


On my way out, another view of the tiny pond with the sun illuminating the flowers at the far end.

And finally, possibly the most popular garden flower of all time...


.

No comments:

Post a Comment