Tuesday, March 12, 2019

Cooking lesson: Plátanos con Mole

12 March, 2019

There was a mid afternoon school activity today, so I didn't do much walking around. Here is one random Antigua rooftop.


Today's activity was cooking plátanos con mole (plantains with sauce).
Most of the ingredients were already laid out, but there was some plantain slicing prep to share.
The tomatoes, seeds, and dried chiles were pan toasted and combined in the blender, along with galletas, a kind of crispy cookie like bread to thicken it.
The plantains were fried in oil; they have to cook slowly to avoid scorching, so this was the most time consuming step.

The mole (sauce) is then heated to a simmer on the stove. Once hot, chocolaate is melted in. The chocolate used here is much lighter and sweeter than the Mexican moles I've tried.
Once the mole is smooth and the plantains browned, the sauce is poured over.
The top is garnished with sesame seeds.
And here's the recipe, so that I can try it when I get home!
Guess who was waiting for me at my host family's house?
WORLD'S CUTEST PUPPY!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment