Sunday, March 10, 2019

Antigua Wanderings

10 March, 2019

Roaming around in Antigua, Guatemala on my own. While guided can be really interesting, they often haven't got the time or patience for me to investigate the little things. For example, these keys embedded in the pavement left me extremely curious...
This is the front of the San Jose Cathedral near the Plaza Mayor (town square or central park).
The back part of the church was destroyed in the 1976 earthquake. One day I will tour the inside; in the meantime, here's a sneak peek.
At the side of the cathedral.
This building was one of the first universities in Guatemala, now being used as an at museum. The architecture of the building was fantastic.

Not to mention, the amazing silhouette of Volcán de Agua in the background.

Apparently at one time, this was a decent sidewalk, but it is most certainly not wheelchair accessible anymore. Sadly, most of the sidewalks here are too narrow and obstacle-ridden for wheelchairs, and the cobblestone streets don't offer much of an alternative.
So, I might be a little obsessed with the volcano...
I think these photos ended up in reverse order, but I can make this work...

This is the courtyard of a bakery and restaurant named after Doña Luisa Xicotencatl; you can find her story and the history of the restoration of the building on their website.
I stopped in for coffee and a slice of tres leches cake that was unbelievably rich.
An ancient marimba as wall decor. The gourds under each key were new to me.
As you can see, the place is packed on the weekend. The food looked delicious.
I stepped out onto the tiny balcony to take in the view.

Below is the balcony as seen from across the street.
Volcán de Agua is always lurking..
A little distance away are the other two local volcanoes, Acatenango on the right with the double peak, and the ever-smoking Fuego. Fuego is the one which exploded last year causing so much damage to the pueblo on the other side of the volcano.

On the porch of the municipal building, this young lady was having formal photographs taken in her quinceañera dress. I wish I'd gotten a close up of the dress, as it was exquisite.
Another view of the cathedral facade from the opposite direction.

Coming home to a bit of puppy love always is a happy ending!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment