Sunday, April 10, 2011

Checkpoint Charlie


This will be a short entry, as I saw Checkpoint Charlie by night, so everything was closed and it was difficult to take good photos.

I was told that the Haus am Checkpoint Charlie used to be a place where newly arrived refugees could stay; now it is a museum.  Maybe next time I will get to visit the museum, as it sounds interesting.

The guard station, now abandoned.

It is so hard for me to imagine passing through such a forbidding sign when it was still active.

I'm still trying to wrap my mind around the idea of setting up an "island" of operations in the midst of the other side's territory, as the Allies did when creating West Berlin.  It doesn't seem logical or efficient at all - they had to bring in supplies by air, so they were effectively under a state of siege of their own making.

This is why I'm totally unsuited to politics, I guess...

No comments:

Post a Comment