Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Auf wiedersehen

I'm on my way home from my little vacation in Germany now.  It was wonderful. Berlin was really great, a very lively city with loads of history and charm.

Here is a picture of London from the air:
The layover was long enough in London that I decided to amuse myself trying some British food in the restaurant: Steak & Ale Pie, Mushy Peas and Chips.  With cider.

How was it, you ask?  It was plain but tasty.  I used the gravy pot to dip the fries (oh yeah, "chips") in; it was probably not the proper etiquette for the Queen, but she wasn't watching.  I wonder what they put in the mushy peas to make them so very bright green and slightly unusual flavored - possibly mint.

I flew British Airways both directions on this trip and they were quite good. They had some kind of weird headrest extensions that allowed me to actually get a little sleep without feeling like I'd been run over by a truck.  The meals were pretty good, and of course the tea.  Service on board was excellent, and the pilots made smooth and controlled landings on all four flights, which lately I've found to be a rarity.

The personal entertainment centers in each seat are quite nice and in addition to trip info, they have a huge selection of movies, TV shows and music, which you can choose at will.  I watched "Chronicles of Narnia III: Voyage of the Dawn Treader", two episodes of the new "Dr. Who", two episodes of the new "Merlin", and snippets of a few other movies.  I would recomment bringing your own earphones, though, because the foam covered earpieces sit loosely over the ears so that much of the sound is drowned out by the noise of the plane.  I had to cover my earphones with my hands quite often, but I was also sitting right over the wing engine.

I would also like to thank the woman in the seat behind me for sporadically thumping, whacking and jostling the back of my seat like a six-year-old for the entire duration of the flight - I would hate to actually have gotten enough sleep... NOT. 

There are a ton of trip photos still to go through, so look for back dated entries in the coming days. 

No comments:

Post a Comment