Sunday, April 10, 2022

Sevilla, Jardines de Murillo

10 April, 2022

Started the day by walking a couple blocks to a sidewalk bar/cafe I saw when walking from the bus stop to my hostal. My go-to breakfast in Spain is coffee and toast with fresh tomato puree, olive oil, and a bit of salt. I splurged for the orange juice, because Seville is in the orange growing region. (That said, fresh squeezed orange juice is always available everywhere in Spain.)

Orange trees are everywhere, even lining the streets. Below is the cafe I had breakfast at, complete with orange trees.


The scent of the blossoms is so luxurious.

After breakfast, I went across the street to the Jardines de Murillo (Murillo Gardens) for a wander.

I really like this monument with the lion. Lion statues are quite a thing here in Spain, probably because one of the old Spanish kingdoms was the kingdom of León.
I later discovered that it is a monument to Christopher Columbus, who is still considered quite the hero here in Spain.
Random unknown chapel thingy in the park. It was just this facade, no building behind it.
There were some very old trees in Seville, which demonstrate that they haven't torn down and rebuilt in a very long time. This is the largest eucalyptus tree I have ever seen, note the size of the bench for perspective.
There were some very impressive ficus trees here and there as well, although none so large as the "Moreton Bay Fig Tree" in my hometown of Santa Barbara, California (which may not be the same species).

Some street Flamenco dancing going on in the park, I love the vibe! See below for video!

Here's a video of the street dancer and musician.

There are smaller gardens within the larger gardens...

This church was a block or so from my hostel, and the bells were ringing. Sadly my video capture failed, so you will just have to imagine it. I love to watch the bells moving when they are being rung.
More enchanting and mysterious alleyways...
Morning was chilly in the shade, but by lunchtime it will be very welcome to sit and eat in the shade.

Three pillars with crosses in a very tiny plaza where two alleys meet. No explanation or church nearby.
A shop dedicated to all orange and orange themed products, from candles to wines. I wished that I had an extra suitcase.
Just a building that had a beautiful facade...
This was a great example of street flamenco. The woman on the right spontaneously joined the costumed dancer, untied sneakers and all. And she knew what she was doing, too!

Many more pics to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment