Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Blog blahs

Despite the lack of blog entries lately, I'm still alive and more or less healthy. As usual, I'm behind on my uploading of photos and descriptions; sometimes I think about going back to a paper-and-ink journal, but then I'd NEVER get it uploaded!

Christmas is coming up - it seems totally unreal from here where Christmas is not celebrated at all, save for a few decorations on shop windows. The school will hold Christmas parties the next two weeks (four parties in all, to accommodate all the students), at which the other foreign teacher and I are expected to dress up as Santa and be pummeled by the kids... er, I mean, spread Christmas cheer.

We foreign teachers will have our own private party next Monday evening, which I'm looking forward to.

Ironically, I'm finally starting to get the hang of living and teaching here, as my contract nears its end. However, the language barrier has been extremely difficult for me; I've only managed to learn the most rudimentary Mandarin on my own. For my next assignment abroad, I'd like to choose a country where I have already studied the language or a related language.

1 comment:

  1. I am glad to hear you have been staying healthy. When I lived in Japan years ago it felt very odd to be able to go out and go shopping or do anything else you would want to do on Christmas day. The stores did put up decorations but it wasn't celebrated other than a commercial season. We did spend Christmas day visiting each other and taking a small present, usually cookies, though.
    I expect you will make a great santa and the kids will have great fun, hopefully not pummeling you, lol!

    It's hard to believe you have only a short time left there and will be back home soon. Have a merry Christmas - the community has missed you!

    ReplyDelete