Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Kitten


Well, those of you who know me, know it was bound to happen sooner or later. Last night I found a tiny orphaned kiitten and couldn't make myself leave it alone and crying. It's very young, and I'm trying to work with one of my Chinese co-workers to get it to a veterinarian today.

Since I'm leaving for Kunming for 5 days tomorrow, I'm feeling a bit anxious to get this taken care of as soon as possible, but since I'm dependent on Chinese speakers to get anything done I must wait patiently for my phone to ring with a solution.

It was very dehydrated and starving, I managed to get it to take quite a bit of cow's milk last night, which probably saved it from the dehydration as it later peed an astonishing amount on my bed. It then vomited up most of the milk solids, but apparently a small amount was digested because it did also poop - thank god I had put it on a towel. I have never had a kitten of any age that just peed or pooped where it was and lay in it and cried, I don't know if this is because it is too young for the mom to have potty trained it, or if something is wrong with it.

Hopefully will get it to a vet very soon, as since the vomiting it no longer wants to drink milk and is probably getting dehydrated again.

---------------------------------

Update: I got an eye dropper and managed to get the kitten to take a little more milk, gave it less and it kept it down. It seemed to feel a bit better today; the eye mucus didn't come back, the kitten was washing itself, and even played a little with a string while in my lap.

This evening I dropped the kitten off with a co-worker, and I have just confirmed that the kitten is now at the verterinary hospital to be boarded until I return, so it's currently out of my hands, at least until I get back from traveling.

No comments:

Post a Comment