Friday, April 6, 2012

Day 6: Curitiba

27 February 2012

On the last day of our trip, we had just a couple of hours to walk around Curitiba before heading for the airport.

These funky tube-like bus stops are all over Curitiba.  It looks like you pay upon entering the tube instead of on the bus.

Old fashioned popcorn cart in the plaza.

It's hard to see in this photo but there was another type of popcorn in there that the kernels were shaped differently than the usual kind.  Unfortunately I have forgotten the name of it which my friend told me, maybe I will remember later.
Church on the edge of the plaza.

 I don't know what this building is but it was beautiful.  Most of the buildings in this area were more modern so its archtecture really stood out.
 I saw quite a few of these interesting delivery bikes with the front wheel smaller than the back.
Merchandising difference... the dried meats are in the open.
 I think the white hanging things are tripe.
 This is what most of the buildings looked like in the area and why the older ones stand out so much.
 This red one is an art museum.
 And this is "art".  I think. Maybe.
In the future, there won't be any difference between garbage and energy.  Wouldn't that be wonderful?  We are quickly using up resources and filling up the planet with garbage, so I hope they hurry up with this technology.
 Not just a beautiful retired antique cable car, this also happens to be the Coolest Library Ever!!!!!!!




 It is at the start of a section of street that is blocked off to vehicle traffic and lined with shops.




 We walked up this street which is lined with old buildings which now have shops in them and admired the architecture.

 Another of these funny bikes.  I wonder how it handles with two full water bottles on the front - probably like a cow.

The not-so-beautiful view from our hotel window in Curitiba.
 And the other direction.
Not nearly a rival to the luxury hotel in Foz do Iguacu, we were ready to bid this hotel goodbye and head for home.

This cow was in the bus station back in Porto Alegre.  I'm not sure if this is art, advertising or some kind of joke, but I thought it was funny...
"vaca" (cow) + "taxi" = vaxi

No comments:

Post a Comment