Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Work, coming home, and macadamia madness

29 August 2012

I'll be starting a new job tomorrow, thanks to AppleOne employment agency. It's a long term temporary position with a large international company that manufactures specialized medical equipment. The project is expected to last until around December. My lunch is already packed for tomorrow!

Starting work feels really good. Coming back from another country, there is an initial period of downtime in which I don't have a useful purpose or role, which prolongs the culture shock feeling of "not belonging". Now I can settle down and have a routine - not to mention paychecks!

Tonight for dinner I made a pork roast crusted with macadamia nuts. It turned out very well, although it took a LOT longer to cook than the recipe indicated. My own fault, as I used a different cut of pork than the recipe called for.

The macadamia nuts are from our tree in the backyard, and I can tell you from experience that they are not expensive because they are hard to grow; they are expensive because they are hard to open! The shell is extremely hard, almost perfectly round, and so waxy that if you hit it wrong it shoots away like a bullet across the room.

I recently bought this heavy duty nut cracker that works like a charm, and now rather than sitting uncracked in buckets in the garage, we can EAT the macadamia nuts!

Last week I made White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Cookies, they were perfect, just the way I remember them from the Mrs. Fields cookie shop in the mall. Yummmmmmmmm!

No comments:

Post a Comment