Sunday, September 18, 2011

Kittens and birdies

18 September 2011

Josie had four kittens.  They are now about three weeks old and are almost ready to explore their surroundings.  This was the first time that I've seen them that they weren't nursing and sleeping steadily.  I'm looking forward to having new furballs to play with!  They have been nesting warmly underneath the antique cast iron stove in the kitchen of the big house, which is still used by the cooks in addition to the modern gas range.

I don't know what kind of bird this is (at the base of the tree) at all, but it was beautiful. Black cap, yellow head and neck, and brown and gold speckled wings.  This is only the second time I've seen them, but I'm sure that I will get a better shot of them eventually.


 In the afternoon, I heard the sounds of a marching band going by the house, so I rushed out to see what the commotion was about.  Turns out it was just an informal one in street clothes.  I think that they were "drumming up support" for the afternoon's soccer game, as the stadium is right behind the gas station there.
Embarrassingly, I ran out of the house with my camera in such a hurry, I left the key inside and had to disturb my employer to be let back in.  The front door of my little house locks when closed, so I must remember to always take the key; easier said than done. 





No comments:

Post a Comment