Monday, August 1, 2011

Soup for a chilly winter day

One thing I did not expect when coming to Brazil was to be able to see my breath in the air in my bedroom!  It's another chilly, rainy day.  Today it's also windy, so I'm not very motivated to go outside to the shops or downtown for fear of turning my umbrella inside out.  Definitely a soup day.


Today I made Canja de Galinha, which is the Brazilian version of chicken soup.  It's similar to others, but with the addition of lemon juice and tomato.  Here is the version I made, loosely based on several recipes I found on the internet.  I think mine is thicker than the traditional version, which makes it perfect for a winter meal instead of a starter.  Heavenly.


Mary's Canja de Galinha

  • 1 lb. chicken, however you like it (I used a dozen or so drumettes)
  • 2 small white potatoes, diced
  • 2 small carrots, diced
  • 1 c. rice
  • 1/2 head of garlic, peeled and crushed
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1/2 c. tomato paste (most recipes called for fresh, but they are out of season here now)
  • 1 chicken bouillion cube
  • juice of 1 lemon or lime (I used a mystery citrus fruit that might or might not have been a yellow lime)
  • water, more than enough to cover everything
  • salt
  • pepper
  • parsley
  • cilantro

Put all in a heavy pot, cover and cook until the rice is tender and the chicken and vegetables are thoroughly cooked.  Check it occasionally to stir it and to make sure there is enough water, as the rice will absorb a lot.

2 comments:

  1. Okay I seriously LOVE it when you post "how to's" :-) love ya!
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I love posting about food. :D I'm glad you like it, and hope your family will enjoy it.

    Today I'm going to take a massive leap and cook it with chicken legs instead of drumettes. Woohoo!

    ReplyDelete