Saturday, September 26, 2015

Walking the Berlin Wall: Bornholmer Strasse

26 September 2015

On this trip, I took the time to walk a good portion of the former Berlin Wall. Most of it I walked alone, which was perfect as it allowed me to see, read, absorb and think at my own pace. This was such an important part of German history that it wouldn't do to rush through it and not take it in.

I began at the Bornholmer Straßse bridge, which was the site of the checkpoint that was the first to open the gates and allow people to cross between East and West Berlin.


The bridge crosses over the railroad... interesting note that many railway stations were completely shut down while the separation was in effect, and were known as "ghost stations".

Now called "Platz des 9. November 1989 in commemoration of this event which changed people's lives so dramatically.
Nearby are several "life size" signs with images taken on that day as well as descriptive information and maps.


The next 2 photos depict the site of a former guard tower. Looks like prison to me.

Looking from the guard tower up toward the Bornholmer Straße bridge.
Placed at intervals along the ground are metal plates with text demonstrating the timeline of events on that day.


 Memorial plaque next to the bridge.

This is not really anything to do with history, just the little garden houses which are common in Berlin and which I find interesting.

Those of you who have read my blog before know that I found the variety of manhole covers interesting... unlike in the US where they all look identical.


A bit farther into the city, at the Berlin Mauerpark (Berlin Wall Park). Not much in the way of remnants to be seen, just a nice park that follows the line of the former wall.
Park maintenance buildings. Or maybe something to do with the streetcars. Anyway.. DUCKIES!!!!
A memorial to some of the victims of the Wall.
I wasn't sure I was walking the right way, as I was following a main street, until I saw this. (Mauer = wall)
And here is the East-West Cafe, complete with Trabants which were so common in that era.
To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment