Sunday, August 26, 2012

What's for lunch? Caprese Salad

26 August 2012

We have a bunch of heirloom tomatoes ripe and in need of use, so I went out and got some mozzarella and basil for salads. These tomatoes (not sure what they are) are tangy and sweet, one of the best varieties I have had.


Sometimes the simplest recipes are the best.

vine ripened tomatoes, thickly sliced or cut in chunks
fresh mozzarella, cut in similar shape/size to match tomatoes
fresh basil leaves
olive oil
balsamic vinegar
salt
pepper

I drizzled the oil and vinegar on top and sprinkled the salt and freshly ground white pepper over it. After taking the photo I tossed it all together to distribute the dressing more evenly (because that's how I am).

The basil leaves are prettier whole, but I tore them up because I want a piece in EVERY BITE.

Summer is delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment